Sakura Snow Skin Mooncake – Recipe

Ever had an amazing idea, execute it, then realise someone else had already done it ages ago? Sakura snow skin mooncakes, everyone.


After making the snow skin dough and waiting for it to rest I went on the interweb to double-check how to prepare sakura flowers, and to remind myself if I should or shouldn't flour the dough before moulding. As I was browsing I came across Ann Low's blog, and found that she had already, in fact, made the exact same thing three years ago. Ain't that always the way? At least I can say my snow skin dough is made slightly differently – but other than that they're pretty much the same beast. In any case, here is my take.


Note irony of sakura (cherry blossoms) as a main ingredient for mooncakes. Sakura are a spring thing, whereas mooncakes are for autumn. Whatever, it's delicious.







Ready? Let's go.


Ingredients for Snow Skin Dough:

150g koh fun (cooked rice flour)
150g icing sugar
50g vegetable shortening
200ml water
Extra koh fun for dusting

Ingredients for Filling and Decoration (both bought from Japan online):

Sakura-an (sakura white bean paste)
Pickled sakura flowers, rinsed, soaked and pat dry on kitchen towel

Method:

1. Rub the koh fun, icing sugar and vegetable shortening together with your fingers until crumbly, and stir in the water. Knead with your hands until you have a smooth dough, cover with clingfilm and let rest for 30 minutes.

2. Divide the sakura-an into 20g portions (I also used one 70g portion for my larger mooncake mould) and roll into balls. Set aside, and do the same for the snow skin dough, this time making 30g (or 80g for the larger one) balls.

3. Flatten out the snow skin dough circles into discs, pinching the edges so that they're thinner, and use to wrap a ball of sakura-an up. Place a sakura blossom in the bottom of your mould, lightly dust your mooncake ball with more koh fun and press firmly into the mould. Unmould, repeat until everything is used up, and pop in the fridge until you're ready to serve.








Enjoy, and have fun.

Oh, I also tried to make a cat. I tried.



Comments

Popular Posts